U.S.VETS is a 501 (c) (3) not for profit organization that serves military veterans who are homeless and recovering from addictions, mental health illnesses, and lack of resources. The mission of U.S.VETS is the successful transition of military veterans and their families through the provision of housing, counseling, career development, and comprehensive support.
U.S.VETS is located in Kalaeloa and , is already servicing soldiers that have returned from Iraq and Afghanistan. It also provides affordable housing for elderly veterans from the Korean and Vietnam War eras. The event will continue its theme "No Veteran Left Behind." Participants are encouraged to wear red, white and blue, bring their flags and to walk/run in honor of a veteran or a loved one in the military.
“We hope to raise money to continue to provide hot meals, a safe home and job training for former soldiers that have plummeted to homelessness,” said Darryl Vincent, a veteran and the Hawaii Site Director. “We believe that it is a crime for anyone that served our country to be homeless. Our goal is to now serve them when they need our help.”
Over the last year, we have enrolled over 250 veterans into our residential Veterans-In-Progress (VIP) program. We are proud to report that over 83% of the veterans who enter into our program maintain their sobriety during their stay here. Also, while only 43% of veterans enter with existing income, over 80% exit the program with income. These are just a few examples to show that we are making headway in reducing homelessness among veterans on Oahu in a very positive way… And we will remain vigilant in our mission until there are no veterans left to suffer the hardship of homelessness.
Donating to U.S.VETS helps us carry on our mission to serve homeless military veterans and their families. Just one day's worth of gasoline used to shuttle veterans to and from the VA Hospital costs $110. Once a veteran gains employment, a bus pass used to get to and from work costs $60. To serve food to the veterans at our facility costs $1,200 per day. These are just some of the examples of how your support will help our nation's heroes get back on their feet!
There are 5 ways you can give your support!
1. Register to run in the Patriot 5k Run/Walk: www.patriotrunhawaii.com
2. Register to run in the 5k *AND* make your own firstgiving.com page to fundraise for the U.S.VETS Patriot 5k *OR* if you can’t participate in the race, but you would like to fundraise on your own, simply set up your own personalized fundraising page:
www.firstgiving.com/patriotrunhawaii (click on Get Started)
3. If you are not interested in running or not able to run, you can sponsor 1, 2, or 10 or more of our homeless veterans by paying for their registration fee so that they can participate in the Patriot Run: send an email to Bernadette Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (808) 6722984
4. Visit our Support U.S.VETS through a financial sponsorship: Visit our Firstgiving fundraising webpage at www.firstgiving.com/patriotrunhawaii and click on "Sponsor Me" at the bottom of the page.
5. Have your business be a Corporate Sponsor. For more info on corporate sponsorship, email: email@example.com or call 682.9015. Corporate sponsorship levels start at the One Star General level at $250 up to the Presidential Sponsorship Level at $10,000.
Please support us and join our cause and we will remain vigilant in our mission until there are “No Veterans Left Behind” to suffer the hardship of homelessness.
For any additional information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org